Rolex is one of the premier watch brands not only in the United States but in the world. It has a rich history and is the pioneer watch of athletes, adventurers, explorers, artists, and more. While many know the name Rolex, many don’t know all of the interesting facts that surround this well-known brand.
- Rolex was established in 1905
- The Founder, Hans Wilsdorf, founded Rolex at 24 years old in London.
- Rolex created the first waterproof & dust proof watch in 1926 – The Oyster, and today, Rolex is the only watch brand that can use the term “waterproof” when describing their watches according to FTC regulations.
- In 1933 the first expedition to fly over Everest was equipped with Rolex Oysters.
- The Rolex Datejust was introduced in 1945 – it was the first self-winding wrist chronometer.
- In the 1960’s, the experimental bathyscaphe, Trieste, successfully descended into the Mariana Trench, the deepest known depression on the Earth’s surface. The Rolex Deep Sea Special experimental watch had been attached to the outside during the dive and was in perfect working order after resurfacing from 10,916 meters (37,800 feet).
- All movements and components are designed, manufactured, and assembled in-house by Rolex in Switzerland. Even materials such as the 904L stainless steel, and 18K gold are alloyed in-house.
- Rolex gives back with its Mentor and Protege Initiative
- Hans Wilsdorf, the founder of Rolex, did not have any direct heirs and wanted to ensure that his legacy was one of doing good while doing well. Today, Rolex is still a privately held non-profit company. The Hans Wilsdorf Foundation distributes the profits to charitable causes.
- Rolex partners with many sporting events including yachting, tennis, motorsports, golf, and equestrianism.
See our extensive Rolex collection in person at one of our three Oklahoma City locations or browse the collection online.